This summer house was completed for a young family that wanted to expand their recently purchased cottage. The original two-story structure was built in the early 1900's. A one-story shed roof, built off the back of the original structure in the 1950's, was removed. A two-story addition was built in it's place.
The new ground floor space contained a modern kitchen, bedroom and bathroom, while the upstairs added three bedrooms and a bathroom.
A new porch was wrapped around the original structure on three sides of the ground floor. Above the main entry, a reading porch was added under the extended roof. As a poetic gesture, the owners had a playful pattern cut on a CNC router to express their love of life on the water in the summer.
To extend the usability of the house into the winter, the two-story addition was insulated. Overall, the new construction was built to match the original structure as much as possible. This helped to comply with the preservation requirements of architectural additions and renovations in a place that is on the National Register of Historic Places, and also to produce a more cohesive whole.